Will we all be using bicycles in the Future?

Discussion in 'Motoring and Transport' started by Welsh dragon, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

There is a story on the BBC website about the use of bikes in the future. It sems that companies want to introduce schemes to hire bikes to people in the hope that more and more people will literally get on their bike.

We have seen these schemes in china and to be honest millions of bikes are just left by the users, strewn all over the place, the pavements, peoples gardens, outside shops, in parks, they are literally everywhere so can it work over here?

Cities in Europe like Amsterdam already have a fantastic bike culture and infrastructure, so no new scheme would work there. Can it work in the UK?

Personally i doubt it. 1. We need more cycle paths and the cost would be horendous. 2. There are too many people in the UK who like the chinese would just dump the bikes anywhere and canals, rivers and park ponds would be a favourite for them. The towns and cities would be overflowing with dumped bikes.

How would you feel if a scheme was started in your town/city? Do you think it woul/could work?

Would it be a complete waste of time and money?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41015485

classic33 likes this.
  2. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

It'd be a waste of money here to start such a scheme. We do have bicycle hubs, where you can borrow a bike from, but it has to be returned there. None of the local coumcil cycle, and all seem to think that cycling is a leisure activity, not a viable means of transport.

Driven the system mad trying to get a cycle through the SVA, which would have enabled me to register it. From that to registering the trailers(see picture below), in order to be allowed into certain places that are reserved soley for motorcars. I'm now a licenced Waste Carrier. Just got to take the vehicle registration details and the driving licence for it, to get the permit!

twin trailers.jpg
    In case you're wondering, neithers me and it's a piano on the second six foot trailer.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I hope things work out for you classic.

classic33 likes this.
  4. classic33

I'll drive em nuts first though.

The system is car centred, to beat that requires a change of attitude more than a rule/law change.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  5. classic33

Another major problem that needs to be overcome, and it won't be as easy as people may think/feel. Is that not everyone wants to cycle on off-road tracks. Cycles are by legal definition, legal road vehicles, with every right to be ridden on the roads. Create off-road routes only and you add to the perceived "wisdom" that cyclists aren't and shouldn't be allowed on roads.

Recent questions in a council meeting with close on 100 people in the room met with silence for the first one. They didn't know what a bike box/ASL was or where they were.
    The second brought the usual replies of hi-vis & helmets having to be worn at all times by cyclists, as well as insurance and vehicles taxed. I offered to pay the Road Tax, for a year, for the first person to complete the form and get it accepted. To date there have been no claimants.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I totallly agree that not all cyclists want to ride on special cycle paths, but quite a lot of potential new cyclists might feel safer riding away from normal traffic especially as some vehicle users are quite vitriolic in theyr'e comments and dislike of cyclists.

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice