Woman with a loaded gun in child's buggy gets sentence suspended

Discussion in 'UK and World News' started by classic33, Feb 19, 2018.

1. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

A woman who was caught handing over a loaded gun at Connolly (Train) Station last year has been released from custody on the basis of time served.

Nikita Murtagh, from Mariners Port, Sheriff Street in Dublin, pleaded guilty at the Special Criminal Court to the unlawful possession of a semi-automatic pistol on 19 July.

The young mother was sentenced to three years in prison, but the outstanding two years and five months were suspended due to her personal circumstances.

The gun was in a shoe box with nappies and hanging on the buggy her three-year-old child was in.

Gardaí and her defence team said Murtagh was used by devious people to move a loaded gun from Dublin to Belfast.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/0219/941809-nikita-murtagh-court/

Carrying a loaded gun at a busy railway station and gets a suspended sentence!

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

When i first started to read this story, i thought it was in America and i was going to say 'only in America could this happen'. Clearly not though.

I often wonder what the courts and judges are thinking nowadays when they pass sentence. A semi automatic weapon, in a childs buggy and they get just time served.

3. OP
    OP
    classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

Connolly Station is in effect an "International" station. Wonder how it'd have played out if it had been the main Euostar terminal in this country.

Maybe she thought the pram with the child in it would make her stand out less.

4. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Disaster waiting to happen springs to mind. I don't think the courts took this as seriously as they should have especially with a gun like that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice