1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women on the front line.

Discussion in 'Law, Order and Defence' started by Welsh dragon, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Well-Known Member Staff Member

Whatever your feelings or thoughts about the military, up until now women have taken a back seat, but it looks like more and more women will be able to be front line troops.

More and more previously closed sections of the armed forces will be opened up to women. Personally a good thing i feel, and it it means another male top heavy and unequal corner of the employement sector is finally opening up.
  2. Big Andy

Big Andy Well-Known Member Staff Member

Yes I would say it's a god thing too. The selection process should be exactly the same for all and there should only be one question when it comes to selecting someone for a particular armed forces role and the selection process.

Who best fulfills the requirements of the role?
    Jezza likes this.
  3. OP
    Welsh dragon

Agreed, although i do think there will be some die hard old fashioned men who will say no and will say that the male soldiers will be put at more risk because they will try to protect the women.

If the women themselves feel they are up to the job, then i am all for it.
  4. Big Andy

The old die hards move along eventually.
    Welsh dragon likes this.
  5. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

All military roles should be open to all military personnel.
  6. IIP

IIP Guest

this isn't about the capability of women in combat, they are and would be more than ccapable, the problem is changing the ingrained notion that men have to protect women, its thousands of years of ingrained notion aganist lets say 50 years of women being able to fill any role they see fit to do.
    its easy to train a woman to become the best soldier possible but how do you train the majority of male soldiers to stop the nurturing instinct to protect rather than to recognise them as an equal on the battlefield.
    nurturing: not sure if thats the right word but I couldn't think of another word.
  7. OP
    Welsh dragon

You are right in that women can play just as important a role as men and can serve on the frontline also just as well as the men, but regardless of whether they should be treated exactly like the men or not, if a man sees a woman in danger, it is their instinct to automatically protect any woman and that is the problem.

And that protection could result in unessessary injury if one soldier tries instinctivley to protect a colleague. I honestly don't think you can train soldiers to ignore that part of their almost genetic makeup if you like. I can see the problem from both sides. I am all for women soldiers on the frontline if that is what they want, but i can also see a problem.
  8. Big Andy

You both raise a very good point.
    Im not sure it would be that easy or even possible to unlearn that instict.
  9. TheBand

TheBand Member

Men also protect other men in battle, not just women.

If the playing field is equal then fine, but you have to remember that when Pippa Tattersall passed the Commando course it wasn't in the same way her male colleagues did.

The last thing you want in any fighting unit is a weak link, if the female is not the weak link then absolutely they should be there alongside the men. If they are they shouldn't be, and to be clear nor should any male weak links.
  10. Highlander

Highlander Regular Member

I find your post very hard to grasp! Actually, Incredulous! Are you advocating that is better for women to be butchered as well as men as benificial? Can you please explain?
  11. OP
    Welsh dragon

I am not advocating that at all, but if women want to serve in the armed forces, on the front line knowing the possible consequences then so be it. Women from other countries in the armed forces also serve on the front line like in Israel.

Police women serve the same role as men in the UK as well, and have died in thd line of duty just as men have. Should they not be allowed to have the same role as men?
    classic33 and Big Andy like this.
  12. Highlander

With respect, I am never going to agree with your submission. Israeli, IDF both sexes butcher unarmed Palestinians, men women and children, are you advocating we should also follow suit? From strangling Palestinian children, kill them, revive them, to repeat the game! Or perhaps another game the IDF like to play, is to shoot young men or women in there reproductive organs, there are more wheelchairs in Palestine per head of population than any other country in the world! Again, are you trying to lower Tory standards even further? I do not believe in feminism. Human nature normal human nature puts women on a predastal, it's the nature of the beast, and evolution. Feminism a tool belonging to the weak minded to have man and women at each other's throat.. Please look at you tube, Jordan Peterson. He puts into words Succinctly a balanced way both men and women should treat one another. Throwing feminism into the bucket. We are not equal in all things.
  13. OP
    Welsh dragon

I think you have missed what the story is about. It isn't about the arguement of who kills who, but whether women should have the same role in the armed service as the men. Soldiers can and are also used in peacekeeping roles with the UN.

There may well be men in the armed services who will always want to protect the women and this could possibly cause problems in intself, but that is yet another arguement.

The fact is, women have been fighting for equality for 100 years. Women in the police force have exactly the same role as men do. They are not held back because it may be dangerous for them and since 1995 i think 8 or 9 women have died in the line of duty. No one has said that women police officers should be kept in the office.

If you would like to start a thread about who kills who, then by all means do so.
  14. classic33

classic33 Active Member

Pc Sharon Beshenivsky, shot in a an armed robbery in Bradford. Never thought twice about answering the call to the shop.

I think the reason they don't serve in front line military posistions in the UK armed forces is down to the fact that no-one wants to say "there goes the mother of......" or see them come home, carried off the plane. As has happened so often in the past with the armed forces.

Women, interestingly, can outperform men in aircraft. They can handle higher G-loads than their male counterparts.
  15. Highlander

I understand exactly what the discussion relates, only, I come from an being a participant I have been in the forces. In Ireland and Cyprus during Makarios assassination attempt, by the eoka b and during the Turkish invasion. Working with the UN. I never at any time stated, that women should be treated equally, I said, we aren't equal.
    And no, we are talking about the recent government sponsored news and the proposed, conscription, legislation and how stupidly it now becomes an equality issue. The tories tried in 2013 to bring in conscription. https://services.parliament.uk/bills/2013-14/nationalservice.html The European Union is trying to bring in conscription, section 28 and 29. America needs legislation forced through to force war onto the nations. That's why we are talking about women, joining the front lines. If people are daft enough to support such stupidity. Did you know, feminists, with government support, handed out white feathers during ww1 ridiculing anyone brave enough to stand by there convictions. No difference today!