1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date a Transgender person?

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by Welsh dragon, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Well-Known Member Staff Member

A story on the BBC website caught my eye this morning, when it was suggested that anyone who refused to date a transgender person is guilty of discrimination.

Personally to say something like that is ridiculous. This is such a complicated subject that to say that does not take into consideration a whole raft of social, environment, religious beliefs and simply peoples preferences in general.

Personally i cannot ever see myself going out with a transgender man. Attraction plays a huge part in what can be quite a complicated part of the human psyche.

I honestly don't think i could ever get past the fact person used to be X or Y gender, so for me, it would be a big no no and i really wouldn't care what others think of me for being like that.

Would you date a transgender person?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-42652947

Big Andy likes this.
  2. Big Andy

Big Andy Active Member Staff Member

No. The wife wouldnt be happy about it. Lol

Being serious though I wouldn't. Same as I wouldnt date a short person.

Its not discrimination either, simply a matter of attraction and preferences.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Welsh dragon likes this.
  3. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Easy in the abstract but what if you met them and found yourself attracted and their trans status only emerged when you were 'hooked'??

4. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

To be honest, there is always something no matter how small a thing that gives them away. I have lived in an area where 1 or 2 lived. I certainly don't think there is anything wrong if someone wants to date a transgender, but i do think few hetrosexuals would want to do so.

Would you go out with a transgender person?

5. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

6. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

As others have said I think Mrs B would have something to say if I wanted to 'go out' with somebody else. But on wider point I don't share your confidence that something would give them away and if it didn't you're back in my hooked territory.

7. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

Not really. You didn't answer the question, merely side stepped it with the normal my wife wouldn't let me excuse for not answering. I am married, but aside from that, i would not want to go out with a transgender. It is my own personal view, and bringing different scenarios to the table is also just a way of not answering the question for fear of the possibility of being accused of discrimnation.

I really don't care who people go out with, whether they are gay, tansvestite, transgender, sadists, mascocists, or anything else. It really is none of my business and wouldn't concern me in the least as it wouldn't effect me personally. In my oppinion i do not think i would feel any attraction at all to a transgender person, and you cannot accuse someone of discrimination simply because they are not attracted to someone.

classic33 likes this.
  8. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Sorry, I thought my answer was clear if you read both my posts.

Would I choose to court a transgender person?

Probably not but I'm 58 and would presumably be looking at similar age group. Maybe different if I was 25 and met a 19yo who'd delayed puberty in order to transition to a woman?

And then there's the already fallen for them conundrum in my first post.

Ignoring parties to litigation/clients etc I've met in a career in public service I've a memory of three transexuals. First was a trainer at work who insisted on a female name/pronoun but dressed androgynously and had neither hormones nor surgery - you just dealt with it. Second was a member of a Quango who did full hormones and surgery in public view; result was a bit Alastair Simm as Lady Bracknell but made a reasonable hand of it. Third was a bear of man called Keith who had a reputation for inappropriate behaviour with female colleagues. I only knew because a mutual former colleague on same commuter route as me thought it so odd that she sought me out on train to tell me.

How he could ever make a convincing woman was beyond us both!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Welsh dragon likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I knew 2. One was a woman who dressed like a man and tried her best to act like one, but failed miserably because she tried too hard with the walk and the talk, plus she tried to hit on every women in the neighbourhood. The second was a man who must have been in his 60's. Wore old womens frocks, thick makeup, and long white gloves to try to disguise his hands. Both were obviously not of the gender they were trying tl portray.

I simply do not think you can say someone is guilty of discrimination in these cases. It is all about prefernece. Some men might prefer tall slim women while others prefer short curvy ones. Some women might prefer tall dark and handsome men, while others might prefer shorter bald ones. It isn't discimination, it is simply preference.

There may well be social and peer pressure instances as well, as well as the way you were brought up in general, but discrimination? No. It is a very complicated subject i think.

10. Joey Shabadoo

lb.jpg lb1.jpg

Which one aren't you attracted to?

11. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

Me personally? Neither :laugh:

12. Joey Shabadoo

13. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

I can live in hope then.......:tongue::tongue:

Welsh dragon likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

:laugh:. Seriously it's such a complicated subject. Physical attraction, social acceptabiliy, a persons age, the way they were brought up ETC.

15. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

Chatting to a female colleague about this today.

We both agreed that if we were on a dating site we'd not willingly include trans people amongst our ticked boxes.

But if we worked with somebody, or knew them socially, and formed a bond and it subsequently emerged, when we were, as it were, swimming freely it might be different.

We both identified The Kinks track Lola as instructive.......

Welsh dragon likes this.