Yet another politician suspended over allegations

Discussion in 'Society, Culture and Politics' started by Welsh dragon, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

Seems yet another politician has been suspended while an investigation takes place into allegations of innapropriate behavior.

Is this the tip of the iceberg? It seems so. Institutional sexual harrassment and abuse was rife in the halls of parliament. Hopefully with the exposure of these cases, we can finally put in place safeguards for all women who work in the houses of parliament, but i do wonder just how many more women will come forward to finally find some justice for themselves and for other women in the future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42098762

2. Jezza

Jezza Regular Member

Innocent unless proven guilty.
    They deffo need a decent HR setup in Westminster for all those interns and 'self-employed' MP staffers.

3. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

What people often forget these days with all the trial by media/social media is that suspension is a completely neutral act and infers neither innocence or guilt.

4. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

Absolutely and they are allegation only. It is a bit of a double edged sword. Allegations may or may not be true. If untrue, then there is the possibility that the allegations will stick to someone and ruin their career even if they are proved to be false.

On the other hand, if the allegations are true and the person responsible isn't suspended, then other women may be subjected to innapropriate behavior.

Personally i would prefer these men were told that they are under investigation, but not suspended until the authorities have proof either way. I am just glad i don't have to make the decision to suspend or not.

5. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

That would be the best way.

6. Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo Regular Member

Politicians investigating themselves? Let me guess how that will turn out. An inquiry into Keith Vaz was started over a year ago by the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner - all press questions about that have been rebuffed and nobody knows what's going on.

I've very little faith in politicians of whatever stripe. They would fark a snake if they could hold it straight.

7. OP
    OP
    Welsh dragon

I meant being investigated by the police.:okay:

I understand they are supposed to be looking into ways or a system that women working in the houses of parliament can access to report abuse or innapropriate behavior should this sort of thing happen again, but that it something different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice