Your Final Resting Place

Discussion in 'Religion, Faith and Spirituality' started by classic33, Feb 10, 2018.

1. classic33

classic33 Well-Known Member

Should it be just that. Once you're laid to rest, that's it.

How would you feel if a builder was suppling stone for work around your house, that when turned over you realised they were once used to mark a persons grave.

Many churches now seem to use gravestones, that used to mark a grave that is still within the grounds, as cheap paving. I try to avoid where possible walking on the gravestone/headstones/memorials out of respect for the dead. Extending this to where they have been used for cheap paving. One nearby church has had some of it's walls, within the grounds, rebuilt entirley from gravesones, cut to size.

2. Welsh dragon

Welsh dragon Senior Member Staff Member

I have never heard of that happening, on the plus side, when i die i am going to be a crispy critter. No one will be able to do anything to me. :okay:

3. Welsh dragon

Seriously though, during the reformation when churches were destroyed, so were the graveyards. The stone from them was used in other buildings/houses so i suppose not much has changed over the last 500 years or so really.

4. OP
    OP
    classic33

You'd not be bothered having gravestones used for a paved area outside your house then?

5. Welsh dragon

I doubt they would use the gravestone for fhat, but def stone from the church itself. Is there a specific instance that you are referring to?

6. Welsh dragon

This is what Wigan council do. i suspect other councils have similar rules. Screenshot_2018-02-11-08-03-04.png

7. OP
    OP
    classic33

One question.
    How do you pay the fee to extend the use when you're using it?

Welsh dragon likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    classic33

Noticable more in Cof E churches moreso(More in the local area). They sell them off, just to clear up a graveyard. Local Parish Church has used the gravestones for paving. And an arts centre has used cut stones as cheap(they were on site, intact) steps and walling.

Welsh dragon likes this.
  9. Welsh dragon

^_^. Clearly you wouldn''t, but a member of the family could if they wanted, i daresay.

classic33 likes this.
  10. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member Staff Member

I have given wifey the opportunity to chop me up and shove me in the wheelie bin. I will be too dead to care. :laugh:

classic33 and Welsh dragon like this.
  11. Welsh dragon

I am going to be a crispy critter. That will solve the problem as well.

classic33 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    classic33

The vertical slabs were gravestones, cut to size.
    Walls.jpg
    The paths around the Church are all made from gravestones. Some cut to size. They left the graves intact on the South & East sides. Just removed the gravestones to "tidy up" the area surrounding the Church
    Path.jpg

Welsh dragon likes this.
  13. Welsh dragon

I wouldn't have a problem with my gravestone being re used. It might be quite nice actually, and i daresay after 99 years, none of my distant relatives would care what happened to it or even knew where my grave was.

14. OP
    OP
    classic33

I've visited graves of family members who have been dead for close on a 1,000 years old, and older. How would you feel if it were to be a grandparents grave that had the stone removed and re-used, leaving them in an unmarked grave? Does it come down to the way people were brought up, or down to money nowadays? I was taught to respect the dead, they cannot answer. And have done, regardless of the religion.

How would you feel if it were to be done by vandals, or plain and simple theft from a church in order to make money?

15. Welsh dragon

Stealing the stones, or vandalism would be a different matter for me.

As for the other, it is a personal thing i think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice